Under the direction of farm management, duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the successful execution of the farm's strategic crop production plan, including but not limited to: fertility planning, variety selection, crop rotation planning, crop scouting, pest management, pesticide application, and the coordination of all on-farm research trials .
- Operating & maintaining large and modern agricultural equipment used in potato production (tractors, high-clearance sprayer, cultivators, hilling equipment, potato harvester, GPS tractor guidance systems, etc.) as required.
- Operating & maintaining center-pivot irrigation systems throughout the growing season as required.
- Monitoring crop growth & development on a daily basis during the growing season.
- Monitoring potato storage buildings effectively and efficiently.
- Assisting with the grading & shipping of seed potatoes.
- Assisting with table potato washing, grading, & packing activities.
- Post-secondary education in agronomy, soil science, pest management, or a related field (degree or diploma).
- Proven leadership ability. Previous management experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Proven organization skills essential.
- Three (3) years crop production experience. Potato production experience is preferred.
- Average mechanical aptitude.
- Valid class 5 (passenger vehicle) driver's license.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, physically demanding environment, with tight deadlines and varying weather conditions.
- A positive attitude and good work ethic, with an appreciation for the fact that farming is an occupation that sometimes requires long hours of work, seven days a week, especially during critical periods (planting, harvest, seed shipping, etc.).
Desirable Assets (not required, but helpful):
- Experience with center-pivot irrigation.
- Valid class 1A or 3A driver's license.
- Valid agricultural pesticide applicator certification.
Our farm offers starting wages commensurate with experience. The successful candidate will be placed on a three (3) month probation and wage increases/other benefits will be discussed upon the completion of this probationary period.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.