PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU ARE IMMEDIATELY AND LEGALLY ABLE TO WORK IN CANADA
Under the close direction of farm management, duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Operating & maintaining large and modern agricultural equipment used in potato production (tractors, high-clearance sprayer, cultivators, hilling equipment, potato harvester, GPS tractor guidance systems, etc.).
- Operating & maintaining center-pivot irrigation systems throughout the growing season, monitoring water usage, and coordinating water needs & availability as required.
- Monitoring crop growth & development, scouting for pest/disease occurrence and contributing to the overall pest management program as required.
- Monitoring potato storage buildings effectively and efficiently.
- Assisting with the grading & shipping of seed potatoes.
- Assisting with table potato washing, grading, & packing activities, and contributing to overall food safety program as required.
- Grade 12 high school diploma, or equivalent.
- Three (3) years experience operating and maintaining farm equipment, with larger and more modern equipment experience preferred.
- Basic mechanical aptitude.
- Valid class 5 (passenger vehicle) driver's license.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, physically demanding environment, with tight deadlines and varying weather conditions.
- A positive attitude and good work ethic, with an appreciation for the fact that farming is an occupation that sometimes requires long hours of work, seven days a week, especially during critical periods (planting, harvest, seed shipping, etc.).
Desirable Assets (not required, but helpful):
- Post-secondary education/training in agriculture.
- One (1) year, or more, of potato farm work experience.
- Ability to weld, fabricate, or perform light carpentry/electrical/plumbing work.
- Valid class 1A or 3A driver's license.
- Valid agricultural pesticide applicator certification.
Our farm offers starting wages commensurate with experience. Though the position is focused on operations support, the "right person" will more than likely move into an operations management role over time, should there be proven ability and leadership capacity.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Multiple single-occupant rooms are available in a complex located at the farm. Bathroom and kitchen spaces are shared by all employees who are residents.