Under the close direction of farm management, duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the successful execution of field operations (tillage, in-row cultivation, ground & aerial spraying, etc.) and irrigation.
- Operating & maintaining large and modern agricultural equipment used in potato production (tractors, high-clearance sprayer, cultivators, hilling equipment, potato harvester, GPS tractor guidance systems, etc.) as required.
- Operating & maintaining center-pivot irrigation systems throughout the growing season as required.
- Monitoring crop growth & development, scouting for pest/disease occurrence and contributing to overall pest management program as required.
- Monitoring potato storage buildings effectively and efficiently.
- Overseeing the grading & shipping of seed potatoes.
- Overseeing table potato washing, grading, & packing activities.
- Overseeing the successful execution of on-farm food safety, OH&S, and WHMIS programs.
- Post-secondary education in agriculture, agri-business, or a related field (degree or diploma).
- Proven leadership ability. Previous management experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Proven organization skills essential.
- Three (3) years experience operating and maintaining farm equipment, with larger and more modern equipment experience preferred.
- Superior mechanical aptitude.
- Valid class 5 (passenger vehicle) driver's license.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, physically demanding environment, with tight deadlines and varying weather conditions.
- A positive attitude and good work ethic, with an appreciation for the fact that farming is an occupation that sometimes requires long hours of work, seven days a week, especially during critical periods (planting, harvest, seed shipping, etc.).
Desirable Assets (not required, but helpful):
- Experience with center-pivot irrigation.
- One (1) year, or more, of potato farm work experience.
- Ability to weld, fabricate or perform light carpentry/electrical/plumbing work.
- Valid class 1A or 3A driver's license.
- Valid agricultural pesticide applicator certification.
Our farm offers starting wages commensurate with experience. The successful candidate will be placed on a three (3) month probation and wage increases/other benefits will be discussed upon the completion of this probationary period.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
A comprehensive benefits package will be offered upon the successful completion of a three (3) month probationary term. Included are health, dental, vision, and prescription drug benefits.
Multiple single-occupant rooms are available in a complex located at the farm. Bathroom and kitchen spaces are shared among all employees who are residents.